Jamaica is reeling after one of the most shocking attacks in recent memory — and now, the government is offering a $2-million reward for any information that can help capture the killers.
The Sunday night shooting in Commodore, Linstead, left five people dead, including four-year-old Shannon Gordon, after gunmen posing as police officers stormed a family yard and opened fire.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness visited the grieving community on Monday, calling the incident “an act of criminal terror” and vowing that justice will be swift.
“Every Citizen Has a Duty to Speak Up”
“There is a reward, and we will evaluate it as we go along in terms of how much more we can put towards incentivising the process of giving information,” Holness said during his visit.
“But outside of that, it is a duty of every citizen to provide us with the information. I really sincerely urge those citizens, those members of the communities who know — please share the information with us. It is ultimately in your benefit.”
Holness urged Jamaicans to break the code of silence that often shields violent offenders. “The criminals must be dealt with. They must be brought to justice. We will not protect them. We will not speak on their behalf. We will have a singular focus on making Jamaica peaceful,” he said.

(L-R) Commissioner of Police Dr Kevin Blake, Commanding officer for the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) area five, Assistant Commissioner of police (ACP) Christopher Phillips, Prime Minister Andrew Holness and Minister of National Security Dr Horace Chang speaking during a visit in the community of Commodore in Linstead following Sunday’s mass shooting in the community. (X photo: mnsgovjm)
A Country on Edge but Fighting Back
The prime minister described the Linstead massacre as part of a larger pattern of organized violence, similar to the Cherry Tree Lane massacre in Clarendon, where eight people were killed and nine injured earlier this year.
“This is not just a local crime,” Holness said. “This is an act of terror — and the police must dedicate resources to this and ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice.”
He confirmed that security forces have been directed to maintain a strong, long-term presence in Linstead to prevent reprisals and restore public confidence.
“The criminals sometimes go and hide, and people protect them,” he added. “But that would be a fatal error. The security forces will stay. They will not wait out the criminals — they will actively seek the criminals.”
Community in Mourning, Nation in Shock
The Linstead area had been relatively peaceful this year, recording eight murders compared to over twenty last year. Residents now find themselves plunged into fear and disbelief.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Christopher Phillips, who oversees Area 5, described the shooting as “very unfortunate and awful.” He confirmed that nine people were shot, five fatally, including a child, two women, and two men.
The Message from Jamaica’s Leaders
Holness’s statement carries both warning and hope: that Jamaica’s fight against violent crime will not waver, and that citizens must be partners in justice.
“This government will not retreat,” he said. “We will ensure the police have the endurance to stay in these communities until every single person responsible is found.”
The Takeaway
A child’s life was cut short. A family yard turned into a battlefield.
Now, Jamaica stands at a crossroads — between silence and courage.
The government’s $2-million reward is not just about money. It’s a call to conscience.
Someone knows something.
And until they come forward, Linstead — and Jamaica — will keep waiting for peace.