A 21-year-old Indian national who entered the United States illegally in 2022 has been accused of causing a deadly pile-up on a California freeway that left three people dead and several others injured earlier this week, according to federal immigration officials.
The Crash
Authorities identified the driver as Jashanpreet Singh, who was allegedly under the influence of drugs when he crashed his semi-truck into slow-moving traffic on the Interstate 10 Freeway in San Bernardino County on Tuesday.
Dashcam footage released by police shows the big rig barreling into a line of vehicles without braking. The impact crushed multiple cars and left a trail of twisted metal across the highway.
Singh was arrested at the scene and booked on charges of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and driving under the influence, police said. Toxicology reports confirmed impairment at the time of the collision.
Immigration Background
Officials from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) later confirmed that Singh had illegally entered the United States in 2022 through the southern border and was subsequently released into the country under Biden-era border protocols.
Following his arrest, ICE lodged an immigration detainer, requesting that local authorities notify federal agents before any potential release from custody.
“This is a terrible tragedy,” said Tricia McLaughlin, assistant secretary at the Department of Homeland Security. “Three innocent people lost their lives due to the reckless open-border policies that allowed an illegal alien to be released into the U.S. and drive an 18-wheeler on America’s highways.”
Aftermath and Political Reaction
The wreck shut down all westbound lanes of the I-10 for several hours as investigators combed the scene. Photos and video from local outlets showed crumpled cars pinned beneath tractor-trailers and debris scattered across the road.
The case has intensified the ongoing debate over immigration enforcement and public safety, with critics of the Biden administration citing it as evidence of lax border control.
“This accident follows a disturbing trend of illegal aliens driving 18-wheelers and semi-trucks on America’s roads,” McLaughlin added. “Under President Trump and Secretary Noem, ICE is working day-in and day-out to make America’s roads safe again.”
VIDEO | Dash cam footage shows Jashanpreet Singh allegedly ramming his truck into slow-moving traffic in Southern California on Tuesday.
A 21-year-old Indian-origin truck driver has been accused of causing a semi-truck crash while allegedly driving under the influence, killing… pic.twitter.com/JgLSH9KH7Q
— Press Trust of India (@PTI_News) October 23, 2025
Ongoing Investigation
California Highway Patrol and federal investigators continue to examine how Singh obtained employment as a commercial truck driver, despite lacking legal status. Authorities are also reviewing the trucking company’s hiring practices and compliance with federal verification laws.
Singh remains in custody pending trial on felony manslaughter and DUI charges. ICE officials say he will also face immigration proceedings following any state criminal conviction.