US News

Omar Miller, Andre Andrews Convicted in Irvine Murder Case

Written by Primenewsplus

Two Florida men who carried out a violent 2019 home invasion at a residence tied to a large-scale marijuana operation in Irvine, California, were convicted of murder on Monday, Sept. 15, 2025.

An Orange County Superior Court jury found Andre Andrews, 40, and Omar Miller, 46, guilty of first-degree murder for the killing of 20-year-old Raymond Alcala, who was fatally shot inside a Bayleaf Lane home in the Northwood neighborhood.

Because jurors determined the killing occurred during a robbery, both men now face life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Surveillance Video Captured the Attack

Dramatic surveillance video showed Miller and Andrews, both armed with handguns, entering the home through a side door in the early morning hours. They immediately attacked a sleeping man, who screamed and fought back before being bound with duct tape.

The victim eventually broke free and ran for help. Moments later, two gunshots rang out upstairs. According to testimony, Alcala had briefly overpowered one of the assailants before being shot. He died at the scene.

Miller and Andrews fled the home.

Omar Miller aka Miller 9

Digital Evidence Linked the Pair to the Crime Scene

Investigators tied the men to the break-in using DNA, neighborhood security footage showing a rented vehicle, and cellphone-location data. Ballistics evidence indicated Miller fired the fatal shots, though both were held responsible under California’s felony murder rule.

The home contained large amounts of marijuana, cash, and luxury items. Although prosecutors described it as a distribution hub, one resident testified it wasn’t a “drug house,” saying the group sold product online and mailed orders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Claims: Duress and a Larger Network

Defense attorneys argued that Andrews and Miller did not intend to rob or kill anyone, emphasizing that they left cash and product behind. They accused investigators of failing to pursue higher-level individuals who allegedly ordered the break-in.

Andrews’ attorney, Mark Fredrick, argued his client acted under duress after receiving violent threats from a drug cartel. Text messages presented in court included warnings such as, “When we find you, we showing you no sympathy.”

The defense said the men were told they were only meant to scare “punk kids,” unaware the residents had previously fought off an armed intruder.

Prosecution Response

Prosecutors maintained that regardless of any outside involvement, the defendants chose to enter the home armed, making them responsible for Alcala’s death.

“These crimes don’t happen without someone willing to go inside and do it,” Senior Deputy District Attorney Lexie Elliott told jurors.

Sentencing Scheduled for December

A third defendant, Devon Quinland of Westminster, will be tried separately on conspiracy and assault charges. Prosecutors allege he recruited Andrews, who then brought in Miller.

Omar Miller was convicted of first-degree murder and other charges in September 2025 for the deadly home invasion and is scheduled to be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Andrews faces the same sentence, with both men expected back in court on Dec. 12.

ADVERTISEMENT